Somethings are meant to be together.
Like the touch of sea salt sprinkled over dark chocolate – bringing out the rich, deep flavors of the cocoa.
Or like creamy peanut butter added to classic cookie dough – bringing out an irresistible ’sweet and salty’ flavor combination.
Or dare I say, the above combined?
Your taste-buds are about to go on an adventure.
Today, during my lunch break, I still can’t get over the fact that they exist after surgery, I decided to bake some cookies. Mostly because I was hungry from trying to eat less and eat healthier the past couple days, and hence, my new solution was to bake things and feed others… aka vicariously eat through other people. (Or make others fat, hehe. I kid, I kid.)
Looking through my pantry, I discovered 2 XL Hershey Dark Chocolate bars (once again, I had fallen prey to chocolate sales of buy 1 get one free) and a jar of crunchy peanut butter, unopened because I kept forgetting to buy bread… and ta-da an idea was born! This was a delicious combination just staring at me, waiting to happen. With the added twist of some sea salt, which will enhance the taste, these cookies turned out just as wonderful as I had hoped! Too good, in fact, because my diet plan ultimately failed and I ended up taking some for the team. :P
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup+ dark chocolate chips
Fleur de sel, to taste (Sea salt)
Makes approx. 2 dozen cookies.
Adapted from For the Love of Cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil (non-greased works fine!)
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour with the baking soda and baking powder – mix well. Slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Place tablespoons of the cookie dough onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Tip: Use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon (using a small butter knife to pry out the dough) to ensure even sizes. There is no need to round out the cookie dough and to flatten! This will create bite sized cookies. Use a medium ice cream scooper if you desire larger cookies!
- Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top fleur de sel, to taste.
Let cool for a few minutes, and serve warm. Each bite will be filled with the complementary flavors of peanut, melted dark chocolate, and sea salt… to share or not to share, that will be your question.